Subscribe

Friday, May 15, 2015

Great Tour of PHS


I've always had the pleasure of being in the classroom but never thought the chance to tour my old school would harbor such emotion this evening. I always thought I would teach general science and majored in it college but I took the first job I could get as an elementary teacher.
When I entered my chemistry classroom, the one where Don Henry taught us, I realized it was preserved in the same way I had left it. I could see myself sitting in a seat talking to Jane Parrish and Marianne Baginski. I could hear Mr. Henry speak to me "go to college, you need to" and helping us memorize valence numbers and how to them determine them in chemical compounds. I remember the seat of my bell-bottom jeans ripping as I squatted to pick-up something during lab. I remember my lab partner, Mike Carlson very sweet and patient who put up with bigger worries of the day, my clothing, hair and make-up.
I remember the light of the morning sprayed through that window, the unknowns, the inorganic and organic chains, the problems, the pencils, the hood, lab books and the door that led to lab set-ups. I remember physics was across the hall. It all opened up a whole new world for me. A world of learning.
High school was my chance to do something better with my life, my hook into becoming a teacher.
Thank you to Angela Reed, chemistry teacher at PHS, along with Viking Lady, Maddy and Viking Knight, Liam for the wonderful tour of PHS.  About twelve graduates of 1975 walked the halls we all walked over 40 years ago.
Let us know your memory of PHS too...




No comments:

Post a Comment